There’s an app for that.
Well, not really, but there is a sub for that.
“Mikey, what’s a bodyweight exercise for ____?”
I get this question all the time including yesterday’s finisher on my facebook page, which was this…
Do the following superset WITHOUT rest 4 times:KB or DB Swings (10) Squat Thrusts (10)
That’s 80 reps in about 3 minutes (I tested this myself and with my superstar client). That’s serious #FinisherPower.
If you want to do this in Uncle Larry’s garage, you can sub the Swings for Bodyweight Chops. (At 2:55min mark in following video:)
But what about other exercises?
- DB Romanian Deadlift => Single Leg BW Romanian Deadlifts (this makes the RDL tougher using just bodyweight)
- DB Squat => Bodyweight Squats, Split Squats, Bulgarian Split Squats
Note – You can make any variety of bodyweight squats harder by doing them “1-1/2 rep” style, where you go all the way down, halfway up, all the way back down and finally, all the way up – that’s ONE rep.
Knee Problems? Try these switches... (talk with your doc first!)
- DB Lunge => Step-ups, 1-Leg Lying Hip Extensions
- DB Squats or BW Squats => Hip Extensions, Hip Extensions with your feet on a Stability Ball (makes them harder)
- DB or BW Jump Squats => Total Body Extensions
- Lunge Jumps => Split Shuffle (double the reps)
So, if your program calls for 8 reps per side on the Lunge Jumps, you’ll do 16 per side on the Split Shuffle.
- DB Chest Presses (all varieties) => Use any variety of pushup that you can do for the reps prescribed. For example, if a program calls for 12 DB Chest Presses, you can do Decline Spiderman Pushups (6 reps per side).
- Dips => Close-Grip Pushups
- Lying DB Tricep Extensions => Close-Grip Pushups (3/4th rep style – this hits the triceps harder – only come up about 75%)
Without straps, DBs or bands, it’s tough to hit the back, but what you can do is your lower body exercises Prisoner Style.
This means you’ll interlace your fingers behind your head and keep your elbows back, squeezing your shoulder blades together the whole time.
Bonus - this can improve upper back mobility
How to Make Advanced Bodyweight Exercises Easier
Hey, not everyone needs to be doing burpees. Check your ego at the door, OK? You should challenge yourself, but never destroy yourself.
- Burpees => Bodyweight Squats or Total Body Extensions
- Advanced Pushups => Go with an easier version like regular Pushups. A good example – Spiderman Pushups (advanced) – switch those for Elevated Pushups.
- Squat Thrusts => Mountain Climbers
Whew, good times. I’ll get this up on the blog soon, too with photos.
So, let’s take a look at one of Kate’s Fat Loss Accelerator Workouts and turn it into a Bodyweight Fat Loss Accelerator…
Perform each of the following in order for 5 rounds with no rest, and without putting the weight down. At the end of this time, rest for 90 seconds. Repeat for 3 rounds:A) DB Swings x 6 B) DB Split Squat x 6/side C) DB Squat thrust to Deadlift x 6
Bodyweight Version:A) Total Body Extensions x 6 B) Split Squat (1-1/2 rep style) x 6/side C) Squat Thrust or Mountain Climbers to 1-Leg Romanian Deadlift (6/side)
Good news: You now know how to replace DB moves with Bodyweight moves
Bad news: You just eliminated your excuses to get ready for spring
And use this list to never skip a beat.
Plus, you’ll get my simplest program ever (every workout is 3 exercises or less), “Bare Minimums”.
The Best Hybrid Workouts EVER Plus Bare Minimums <= VIP Link
Nothing to do on your part – Kate will be sending me everyone who gets it with the Workout Finishers VIP links.
We’ll send the bonus your way via email.
Eliminating all excuses,
Mikey, Master CTT